Monday, November 28, 2022

Monday Love to your Objects of Meaning

 


“ Often, the story of an artifact’s journey is more remarkable than the object itself. ”

 ~ Mackenzie Finklea

Today I want you to help me answer a question. I’m trying to figure out what other artifacts common to us in the modern world bring on as strong of feelings of connection as books or records.

The word “love” is used here both for the kind of passionate feelings you may have for another person, a pet, or even a place and the kind of “love” you can have for some object or a collection in your life that brings you continual enrichment and joy.

What does it mean to love someone else or a critter or even a small corner of the earth? You pay attention to their needs and desires, you provide a safe haven for them, you plant a garden.

“Stuff”, however assumes a different role in our life. Whatever the tool, toy, or totem may be, without our personal attention to it it just becomes someone else’s dusty junk.

I’m posing this question today in part due to my own myopia about the matter. I am beyond partial to my vinyl collection. I’m the same way to a lesser degree about books. And over the past few years, my darling partner Isabelle has introduced me to the world of jigsaw puzzle fanatics.

Read More Here

No comments:

Post a Comment