Thursday, April 22, 2021

Dance First Member Insight from Dr. Jamie Marich, founder of Dancing Mindfulness!

 


This week’s Dance First Member Insight is from Dr. Jamie Marich, founder of Dancing Mindfulness

“Dancing Through Troubled Times”

When I sought out my own recovery from trauma-related disorders and addiction in my early twenties, one of the reasons that I was open to accessing the emotions needed for healing is that the arts (and especially dancing) were with me. As I grew up in a dysfunctional home and was frequently bullied at school, the arts were there for me – not just as a refuge, but also as a vehicle through which I could express my emotions. In the Dancing Mindfulness approach to expressive arts, we teach that dancing or any other expressive arts practice is not about pushing away what is coming up for you. Instead, we use the practices to embrace and then either contain or process what we are experiencing. And to intone the translated words of Rumi, we welcome and entertain them all.

Read More Here

No comments:

Post a Comment