Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Monday Love to your Musical Memories plus

 


“ Without music, life would be a mistake.”

 ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Southern California in the early sixties was at the forefront of education and entertainment in America. Public schools were reputed to be some of the best in the nation and broadcast television boasted nearly a dozen channels. I imagined myself being the host of The Mark Metz Show holding forth in front of Ed Sullivan on the screen with a pretend microphone in my hand. After kindergarten and first grade at Bayview Elementary in Orange County where, with the help of my brother and a chalkboard and my parent’s subscription to Time Magazine I had already learned to read, I found myself at a one-room schoolhouse at the far end of Glade Park, Colorado. Glade Park, population 95 at the time,  consisted of a general store/Post Office/gas station at the main crossroads, and hundreds of square miles of ranch land sprawling from the aspen-covered alpine mesas down to the red sandstone cliffs on the banks of the Colorado River.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment